Medium-low heat, 30-40 minutes, Serves 4-6
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large white onion, sliced thinly
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced thinly
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped finely (optional)
6 garlic cloves, chopped finely
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Aleppo chili flakes (optional)
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp paprika
Zest and juice of 1 lime
2 cans (425mL) diced tomatoes
2lb cod fillets, cut into 6-8 oz. pieces
Fresh parsley, finely chopped for garnish
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Toasted crusty bread for serving
1. In a large, deep skillet (with lid) set over medium-high heat, in olive oil, sauté bell pepper with onions until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and optional jalapeno, continuing to sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Add in spices (cayenne, Aleppo, cumin, paprika) and season to taste with salt and black pepper, stir to combine.
3. Add in diced tomatoes, lime (zest & juice), stir to combine. Bring tomato mixture to a high simmer, cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes.
4. While simmering, use paper towel to dry fish fillets and season lightly with salt and black pepper, coating both sides.
5. Add fish fillets to simmered tomato mixture, partially submerging fish, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until fish is cooked through and flakes.
6. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with toasted crusty bread!