Serves 4, 30 Minutes
1⁄2 white onion, finely diced
1-inch piece of peeled ginger, finely minced
2 tbsp grapeseed oil
2 long green/red chilis, thinly sliced
1⁄2 cup white wine
1 stalk lemongrass
1 can (400ml) coconut milk
1⁄2 cup water
3 tsp red curry paste
2 lb mussels
1. In a bowl, mix coconut milk, water, and curry paste until well combined. Set aside.
2. In a deep saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and ginger for 2 minutes, or until onions translucent. Deglaze pan with white wine.
3. Using the back of a knife, lightly crush (bruise) the lemongrass. Cut lemongrass stalk into thirds. Add lemon grass pieces along with sliced chilis to pan.
4. Add coconut milk mixture to pan, and bring to a simmer. Add mussels and cover. Steam mussels for about 5 minutes, or until mussels have opened.
5. Garnish with thai basil, serve with some crusty bread and enjoy!